Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Custom Pretzel Order in Stages

Yesterday I received a last minute custom pretzel order from my most consistent client, an upscale hotel in Indianapolis. Usually they order the Hoosier pretzel to either give to top guests, or sell in the rooms in "mini bar" fashion.

However, this order was unique, and kind of fun. They wanted a small order of pretzels that were the Hoosier flavor (which is dried cherry flavored cranberries and cornflakes, each picked for their unique traits related to Indiana). It's typically drenched in white chocolate and then drizzled with red and white chocolate stripes, but they wanted it drizzled with blue and gold.

I think it turned out really nice. They weren't very specific about actual colors, so I had to play around with colors until I got what I thought looked best together. In person it looks like a navy and goldish yellow.

The label was to be custom as well, and even less specific. They just wanted it to say Golden Eagle, utilizing the same colors. So, here is what I did with that information...

I used Photoshop to make a chunky navy blue font, and outlined it with a goldish yellow. I embossed the font and gave it a drop shadow for effect, and it really pops on the package.

However, we've been playing around with the idea of moving away from the actual label on top of the package. For many reasons, actually. First of all, it's a big pain in my rear to put two labels per package for every pretzel. Very time consuming. Time is money, for sure! (I learned that in a big way last Christmas when we did the kiosk at the mall.)

On top of the money/time issue though, is that you can't see the pretzel once the label is on the cellophane bag. I've been noticing that people have to pick the package up, turn it sideways, and then actually peer inside to see it. That's not such a big deal when you already know what you've bought, but if they're sitting in a basket at the local Hallmark store, I need to get people's attention without them having to think.

So, with a little playing around, I did a new hang tag, and used the Golden Eagle as an example of how great they could be for marketing purposes as well. Corporations could use these as mini business cards. The tags can be kept in a billfold very easily for future reference. Imagine the possibilities!

Here's the photo of the new hang tag idea, what do you think?

It's not 100% finished. I'm not sure I like the type of paper I used, and I still need to play around with design, but I think we're onto something. As long as it doesn't take even longer to do these, it should save quite a bit of money, but also increase sales with a better finished product. Seems like we're always evolving....but that's better than the alternative, right?!

No comments: