Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Holding my nose and jumping...

So, I was watching my favorite TV show last night, The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch, and Jeff Foxworthy was on. He said, "You have to have moments in your life when you hold your nose and jump in" and it really rang true for me.

I started DipSticks Gourmet Pretzels the Christmas after Joshua was born. I was a breastfeeding, baby wearing, attachment parenting newbie, and never let my kids "cry it out". What does that have to do with anything? Well, I made my first HUGE order of 300 pretzels while he was just 9 months old and needed my attention every 2 hours at the very least. Sometimes I would have him in his baby bjorn while I dipped and dolloped. Other times, I just crashed on the couch for a nap with him.

It took me over a week to make all of those (I can make that in a day now!) and thought I never wanted to make another pretzel again in my life.

Fortunately for me I had a great mentor who reminded me that I wouldn't always be the one making the pretzels, and that someday I'd be able to focus on the more creative/anal retentive aspects of the business that I'm more suited for. So, I forged ahead.

Today, 4 1/2 years and one more son later, I now regularly take orders of 700 or more with no qualms. However, I have done it the safe way for far too long!

I believe it's time for me to hold my nose and jump in. I'm not exactly sure what that will mean, but this blog post is my first step. I hope to chronicle here, not only my adventures in business, but also in life.

Certainly we must make plunges in life as well. What is living if it's not to feel alive? So, with that I will say tata, until I blog again, and let the universe take it from here....

No comments: