Thursday, July 17, 2008

Foot Steps

I've been exercising more lately, and I've noticed that my running shoes aren't fitting so well. For some reason my right foot was feeling very cramped in a shoe that has fit me for a long time. Is this a side effect of the excess weight I'm carrying around, or just a delayed growth spurt from the two pregnancies? I don't know.


However, what I do know, is that The Three Rivers Running Company is the best place in Fort Wayne if you're looking for new athletic shoes. I stopped in over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. They measured each foot, and, oddly enough, my right foot was a half size larger than my left. That confirms my problem, but still, what the heck is that about?


Then, they had me run on a treadmill while videotaping my gait. I felt a bit awkward at first, seeing my large ham hock calves and all, but once they told me the outcome, I felt very relieved.


Apparently my running style lacks a bit of stability, and can lead to shin splints, which I have suffered from in the past. The shoe they recommended was a balancing shoe, to provide support for my ankles. Brooks Universal Platform to be exact.


I also picked up some info on Fort4Fitness. It's a half marathon, 4 mile run/walk, Health Fair and Health Food Expo. Sounds like a goal I could achieve...especially since it's not until September 27th. I may have to walk it, but what the heck. You have to start somewhere, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny! They are the subject of a FWM fitness column I wrote in May for August. And I wrote off the running shoes I bought. :)