Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Blurg.

So, like I mentioned, there's this large, regional grocery chain I've been trying to get into. The one that turned us down twice so far.

I mailed a package a few weeks ago, only to find out there was a new candy buyer in the corporate office. I hadn't thought to call to find out who the candy buyer was because the old candy buyer had been there awhile, and I had just communicated with her before Christmas. But just in case, I called to make sure the new person received the package.

She hadn't gotten it yet, and I was more than a little anxious because I had overnighted it a week earlier with ice packs since their headquarters is in North Carolina. Needless to say, I justified that expense the first time around, but to do it again wasn't exactly top on my list.

I called today, and luckily got through to the actual person, instead of the waste land that is voice mail, and spoke with her regarding the package. Luckily, she had gotten it.

However, they are not interested at this time. What were the reasons?

1.) The pretzels don't have UPC codes, which is a requirement. Here's the tricky part about that statement. UPC codes cost over $700, and that doesn't count all of my product, or the special program you need to do your own UPC codes. And, this particular company is the only company to request UPC codes, which makes it a bit of a gamble. Now, of course, having the codes would enable me to pursue other stores, but most are too big for us right now, like Target, Borders, etc, so this was the smallest big option we had. If we got the codes and they still turned us down, then that money was spent for nothing. (for now anyway)

2.) They have two pretzel lines already that are doing well, and don't have room for another one. Now this I can understand. But, I had to ask them if these pretzels had caramel on them. All she could say was that they do a variety of things. I know what pretzels she is talking about and they are nothing like ours. You have no idea how many times someone tells me, "Oh, so and so sells a pretzel now, and it's EXACTLY like yours." I rush right over to see who my competition is and guess what? There is a scrawny pretzel rod, barely covered in chocolate with a few haphazardly dropped confetti pieces on them, usually sold 2 for a dollar or something like that. The weight of two of those is usually less than half the weight of one of my 4" pretzels.

These two reasons are way better than if she would have said, "I've had better candy from a vending machine!" but they still mean we have some work ahead of us before we play with the big dogs. Not a horrible position to be in, but darn it wouldn't it be so much fun to not have to work so hard at something??? That's a joke. I know things worth having are worth working for, but haven't I worked pretty hard at this one account? OR maybe these no's are telling me that this isn't the direction to go, yet.

We're pretty busy as it is, and with no actual employees, it's kind of amazing we do this much. Maybe once we have a few more vendors added to our growing list, we'll be in a position to hire full time people, which would ultimately allow us to get bigger accounts.

Who knows what is going to be that thing that takes us to the next level, but we're looking for it any place we can.

No comments: