Monday, June 2, 2008

A week in hindsight

As I mentioned ever so briefly a few times last week....that was a darn busy week.

To give you a slight idea, here is just a portion of the tasks I accomplished in 5 days:

200 4" pretzels in ten different flavors
50 8" pretzels in four different flavors
90 Jumbo Marshmallows
12 pounds of S'more Pretzel bark
12 pounds of Toffee Pretzel bark
2 Caramel apples

Some of the pretzels were for a custom order, which meant designing a custom hang tag.

I put together the Vera Bradley donation basket, which required shopping for the right basket and material and arranging the items at least 3 times before finally liking the way it looked.

On Friday, I delivered 2 of the Hallmark location orders (my husband delivered the other two), as well as the Literacy Speaks! order and the Vera Bradley basket. That was more than half a day right there.

Add to this a few birthday deliveries, billing and follow up phone inquiries.

In between DipSticks work, I also had Joshua's last day of preschool at the zoo, which took a good part of a day. I also work part time in the evenings at a non pretzel related job four nights a week.

Writing it all down like this makes it not seem like such a big deal, but this was the first huge order for the marshmallows and bark that I've had, which left lots of room for error. I ran out of chocolate and bags at one point, and had to order more and/or do a quickie stop at Country Kitchen, which is like 2 to 3 times more expensive than my wholesale place. Oh well, live and learn.

Then, there was the packaging of all that bark! Holy. I have made bark for years for family, but never had to weigh each bag to make sure there was exactly the right amount, and then heat seal and tie each one. They looked great though, once they were done. I just underestimated the time and ingredients it would take for that much.

And of course there's the never ending reading/researching trial and error that is my health. I am gaining some ground in that area though, which is nice. Monday I just wanted to sleep all day, but by Friday I was beginning to feel like my old self again.

Thanks to everyone who reads this blog, and for voting in my poll. Looks like you want to hear my ramblings regardless if it's pretzel or health related. I look forward to more busy weeks like this very soon...

No comments: