Saturday, April 12, 2008

A beef with Napoleon

I guess the beef should really be with The Fresh Market actually, since they are the ones peddling this dessert disguised as Napoleons.

For a nice dinner my husband and I stopped at The Fresh Market to gather ingredients for Frogmore Stew that I'll be making tomorrow, and while there we couldn't pass up the desserts that all looked to die for.

He got the Tiramisu, and I opted for the Napoleon, which I had never had before.

One bite and I was less than thrilled. The fillo dough layers were like eating post it notes. The heavy white icing-ish layer and the thick creapy cream layer just didn't gel with my tastebuds.

So, I read the ingredients...are you ready? Here ya go:

Corn syrup, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, water, soy protein concentrate, artificial flavor, polysorbate 60, sugar, hydropropyl methoylcellulose, salt, polyglycerol, esters of fatty acids, lecithin, potassium sorbate, xanthan gum, BHA, TBHQ, modified corn starch, partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and palm oils, titanium dioxide, sodium propanoate, sorbic acid, phosphoric acid, artificial flavor, mono & diglycerides, agar, and artificial colors yellow 5 & 6.

Now, want to know what should've been in it?

A quick search on the internet yielded these traditional ingredients:
Puff Pastry
Whole Milk
Granulated Sugar
Flour
Butter
Cornstarch
Vanilla Beans
Egg Yolks

Now, this wouldn't be such a big deal if I had bought the Napoleons from the freezer section, or if it came in a box, but this came from the bakery section in a "fresh" grocery store. This bakery section with actual bakers milling around behind the counter, pushing carts and carrying trays.

Wouldn't you expect something actually made from scratch then? Arg. I'm upset about this, and won't be buying desserts from there anytime soon. I may still get their black and white cookie, but that's it. That black and white cookie is worth whatever artificial junk is in it.

Just my two cents...

No comments: