Thursday, April 17, 2008

Dairy did it

So, as many of you know, I've been struggling with a candida program/diet for a few months now. I finally talked myself into a very, very modified version of the candida program, just to get myself on something.


I started on Monday and managed just fine with absolutely no wheat or dairy. I ate lots of grapefruit and almonds, and drank tons of water. I ate protein and veggies, and fruit when I felt like it. I probably ate 6 times on Monday, but that's actually a good thing. I had been getting into the ugly habit of not eating until noon, and then not again until dinner time. But somehow filling in the gaps with loads of Easter candy, skittles, cookies, nachos...


Monday went well, except for a nagging headache, and Tuesday started out great too. However, about mid day I noticed I had another headache. Then on Wednesday I had another headache. Hmmm, I think this may have something to do with withdrawal from dairy.


The reason I'm leaning towards dairy more so than wheat is because I have yet to crave a piece of wheat bread, or a cookie. What I've been craving is loaded mashed potatoes with cream cheese, sour cream and/or cheddar cheese. I have been drooling over my stupid cheesecake that's waiting for me in the freezer. So, that makes me think that since I am craving dairy, it must be that which is causing my withdrawal symptoms.

I did a quick google search for dairy withdrawal, and sure enough...people were experiencing the same things that I was. Headaches, moodiness, and other unpleasantness I won't go into here.


On Monday and Tuesday I was very tired and moody, which my husband can attest to as being fairly common around here, but Wednesday I woke up with so much energy that I had the dishes washed, the kids clothed, the wallpaper border in the second bedroom completely removed, the laundry room wall scraped and primed for repair (small rain leak), and the floor vacuumed. I even sat down a few times to play with the play doh with Jacob and the Nintendo ds with Joshua. AND, I ate a nice healthy salad for lunch....all of this before 11!!!


Also, this morning I noticed that the little bumps on my forehead were gone. GONE! I had started noticing them a few weeks ago and no amount of creams or ointments was working. Could this be another benefit of no dairy? This could save me lots of money.

I am onto something big here, I can feel it. But, since I caved in and ate a piece of that $@#! cheesecake yesterday, it will be like starting over, but now I know the common link, and am looking forward to more energy and hopefully more consistently positive moods. yippee! Just say no...to dairy!

(disclaimer: I am in no way saying to boycott the cow industry. please do not sue me, nice farmers.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I found this blog doing a google search of dairy withdrawals, anyway, I made an attempt to stop using dairy products the day before yesterday. I'm on day 3, and I'm feeling my 2nd major headache coming on. Have you found any further information on this? I never get headaches, and definitely never twice in a week - So it's either some sort of strange reaction to halting 29 years of cow product consumption, or an 8 lb tumor that grew in a matter of hours.

If you have a chance to respond, I am on facebook, my email is nkumra@gmail.com, and also have a blog site at www.nikhilkumra.com.

Anonymous said...

I recently learned the link between casein and gluten digestion. It is an enzyme that digests both casein and gluten and causes the opoid reaction in the brain. Today I re-introduced dairy into my diet and my 3 yr old sons. First I felt as if I took an artificial pain killer. I had almost a high feeling. This was followed immediately by a headache. My 3 year old son had a similar reaction but I also noticed he began slurring his words and also extreme emotional responses. I know your post is old but I found it and I figured others probably do too.
One other thing I recently learned, the enzyme to digest caseine and gluten competes with an enzyme that digests sugars. In fact, if you have sugar issues, you may want to research this. There is medication to suppress the production of the enzyme for caseine as a treatment for early stages of type 2 diabetes. I would theorize that this suppression allows for the sugar digesting enzyme to be produced to properly handle certain sugar that eliminating dairy and gluten might be a first line of defense if you are experiencing sugar highs or lows.