Sunday, April 20, 2008

Review: Moscato D'Asti

First thing to know is that I'm really not a drinker. I wish I was, though, believe me. I loved the movie Sideways and how the characters knew their Pinot better than I know my husband. (just a little exaggeration honey, don't get too worked up!)


My friend Julianne however, is the smartest wino I know! She gets paid to write about wines and is even a beginner Sommelier, which basically means she knows her grapes.


I stumbled upon what is now my favorite wine, at my favorite restaurant, Biaggi's. It's called Moscato D'Asti and is slightly bubbly and definitely on the sweet side, which explains why I like it. There are fruity notes to it that I believe are peach or apricot.



I've tried several brands of Moscato, but have narrowed it down to three that I like best.


Bricco Riella is the one from Biaggis and it is my favorite of the three. It is made in Italy. It runs close to $11, but is so fresh and tasty, and I've had it last up to three days without getting flat or strong tasting.


Second would be Two Hands Brilliant Disguise which is made in Australia. I'm not entirely sure where to buy this, other than at Joseph Decuis. I'm lucky that my sister-in-law works there and can get it for me. This one has a bit less sweetness to it, but perhaps a little stronger apricot flavor, which is nice.


Finally, the third choice would be Lazurro, which is also made in Italy. It leans a bit more to the sweet side than the others do. This was okay for the first night, but after that it lost it's zest. This might be good for a party, because it's quite a bit cheaper than the Bricco Riella, and is best finished soon after opening.



If you're in the mood for something different, that's a bit sweet, but not quite champagne, then Moscato D'Asti is just what the doctor ordered.