Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Dear Dairy

I have a condition called hashimotos thyroiditis, which is basically low thyroid function.


Since deleting the dairy from my daily intake, I have noticed a few things. Mainly, that my neck is kind of tight and achy in the thyroid area. This seems to happen when my antibodies are attacking my thyroid gland, which is what an autoimmune disorder such as hashimotos does.


I started to wonder if dairy and thyroid had any common links, and I found this interesting tidbit online.


"Among the elements or ingredients which the Thyroid uses to make thyroxine is a protein known as casein. The body manufactures its own casein out of the atoms present in our food, in the same manner that the cow generates the casein in her milk from her feed. Casein is one of the important components of milk, but when cow's milk is used by humans of any age, it is not digested properly or completely under any circumstances. That is the reason why the use of milk not only creates a great amount of mucus in the system, but also has the tendency to disrupt the function of the Thyroid gland. The casein in cow's milk is 300% more concentrated than that in mother's milk. When cow's milk is pasteurized or cooked by boiling, the casein is changed still worse than in its raw state."


I am glad to have this blog to keep track of this, it will be fun and interesting to see if I can pin point a link between the two. I started to take out dairy for weight loss, but there just may be even better health consequences!


*There's also some indication and several scientific studies that wheat is linked to hashimotos as well, so I am not entirely leaving out this connection. I would, however, have to change the name of these posts if in fact, the culprit turns out not to be dairy. That would be a big bummer. Dear Wheat just doesn't have the same ring to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christy,

It sounds like you've been doing your homework on Hashimoto's Disease. I have also had it for about 15 years. I began making connections with different foods around 8 years ago when the traditional therapy (Synthroid) wasn't doing the job. I then began an educational website that might help others seeking natural courses to reverse this disease through food and other lifestyle changes.

You are very right on your hunches about milk and wheat. One thing I feel is worth checking into is that we are consuming these products differently than anytime in history. For example, most of our consumption of milk was cultured even less than 100 years ago. This breaks down some if not all of the indigestible parts of the milk you are reading about. On the wheat front, my intuition tells me that we should not have to stay away from natural foods but I also had a lot of trouble with wheat... until I began soaking it to break down the enzyme inhibitors in the dry grain! It's so amazing to learn a lot of this stuff. I have a friend with Celiac Disease who can tolerate and even enjoy fresh, whole grain sourdough (that I make) without symptoms.

I am also presently seeing great results with an allergy elimination treatment called NAET which has completely eliminated many of my food allergies. I am almost done with the major contributors to my symptoms. This is being done side-by-side with emotional retraining (I was always a people pleaser but I can see now that I completely lost touch with my own needs) through energy healing tools like EFT and BSFF which you might enjoy looking into on the emotional front. Our emotions are responsible for many bodily complaints and they are finding that at the root of some (if not all) autoimmune diseases lies emotional pain or suppression. This area of emotional issues seemed impossible for me to control until I found these scientifically proven techniques to reverse some of the automatic emotional responses we have built in from years of doing things a certain way. I am now finding freedom to do things a different way and having success in this area.

Just thought I'd post a bit to let you know there are others out there seeking the same answers. I run a forum dedicated to figuring out ways to reverse or at least minimize the damage of this disease. Would love to see you there. I've been most active on my forum so my blog has been neglected. I certainly enjoy "live" interaction better than one sided so you will likely enjoy the discussions best on my forum. :)

Keep up the good work. It sounds like you have a great attitude about life. That is always a great help for this disease!

I enjoyed your blog post.

Mo