Monday, April 7, 2008

Networking

As a business owner I feel the need to network. Oftentimes this involves joining an actual networking business group. I've attended many of these meetings as a guest, but never joined.


I can't really put my finger on why I don't like the typical network groups, and I'm not saying I'll never like them. I just haven't found one that I fit with yet.

I'd like to find something that is more of a social group that also has mentor capabilities. Most networking groups that I've been involved with are just a bunch of random business owners or employees that are there to get leads for themselves. I never had the feeling that anyone was there to help other businesses succeed. Maybe I never gave them enough chances. Maybe the fact that they're called "Leads" clubs should have been my first clue. It's not like they're called "Help other businesses succeed" clubs.

Occasionally these groups will have a guest speaker, but it just always felt so forced to me. It's like they were going through the motions of a business networking organization, and said, "Oh yeah, we should actually do some business stuff other than get leads for each other."

Now don't get me wrong, I know leads are very important, and for some whose business is already established, that may be all they need from a networking group.

But, I'd like to find a networking group, or maybe start one myself, where we not only give each other leads, but we also give each other ideas on how to get even more leads on our own time.

Share advertising space and dollars to get more bang for our buck. Maybe sponsor a charity event together, or do a multiple listing on a shopping bag or newspaper ad.

Maybe have a day each month to focus on just one business for the entire meeting. Really fine tune what that business needs to grow and brainstorm for an entire hour just for that one business.

I don't think I have it in me to start a group just yet, but I'll keep it in the back of my mind. In the meantime I will try to network and get leads without the help of a group.

Networking is valuable if it's not wasting your time. Being in a networking group just to say you're networking isn't exactly the solution to all your problems. Make sure you feel like you're getting what your business needs from the group. Sometimes, leads aren't as important as they seem if other parts of your business aren't equipped to handle that increased business.

On the other hand, you never know who you'll meet at these networking groups. I have found that if you talk about your business and the needs of your business enough, eventually you find someone who knows someone, who knows someone else, that has just the right information for you.

So, I'm not disregarding networking or leads clubs, I'm just trying to find one that is a good fit for me. This could take some time...

No comments: