Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Dear Dairy

I think I'll start posting updates about my dairy elimination progress, or lack thereof, in a post called Dear Dairy. So, if you're bored of my lactose lamentations, you can just skip right over this one!


I have gone one whole week subtracting wheat and dairy from my diet. I have snuck a few things that include dairy, and two or three cookies that had wheat in them, but most of that occurred on my "cheat day", so I don't feel too bad about it.


Speaking of my cheat day, Mark and I went out with two of our friends to a sushi place on Friday. I ate my usual california roll, which I think maybe had mayo in it, but otherwise, no dairy or wheat. Then, I had a new roll called Winter Roll that had smoked salmon, cream cheese (go figure) and avocado and some tempura batter crunchies.


I had a few bites of Mark's shrimp tempura and chicken teryaki, and some plum wine.


In about 2 hours my stomach was so cramped and painful I could barely sit. I think my stomach bloated to about 3 times its normal size.


All I can figure is that it was either the cream cheese, or maybe the wheat in the tempura batter. I used the lite soy sauce, but unless there was MSG somewhere, I'm not sure exactly what caused my issues.


I probably will have to do an experiment and just eat only wheat one day, and then one day only dairy, to see what happens.


It won't stop me from getting the winter roll again, though, that was worth the pain!

No comments: