Monday, April 14, 2008

Just call me monkey girl

So, I've had this dream for pretty much my whole life...to live in Borneo and study the wild orangutan. Call me crazy, but I have loved primates of all kinds since I can remember.

Stuffed monkeys hung from every corner of my youthful teenage room, and now adorn our second bedroom previously decorated as a jungle for our nursery.

My favorite book is Reflections of Eden, by Birute Galdikas. It's her fascintating story of studying the orangutans. I've read Jane Goodall's and Dian Fossey's, but something about Birute's writing style, or maybe just her muse, fascinated me.

In my opinion, the best part of the Fort Wayne Zoo is the orangutan exhibit. I can stay for hours if you let me. Even though they pretty much just sit there and stare at the walls, or occasionally play with a blankie, I'm enthralled by their cuddly hair covered bodies and those endearing faces. I often wonder what they're thinking, if anything at all.

I recently decided to start donating to primate research, and purchased a shirt from the Jane Goodall Institute. I am thinking of volunteering at the zoo in my "free" time, hopefully in the Indonesian Rain Forest where the orangutan exhibit is. When I retire, I hope to take more of an active role in giving back to animals too, and more than likely the human variety as well. Something to look forward to other than chocolate pudding at the old folk's home, I guess.

As my hero Oprah says, giving is truly receiving. So, no matter if it's an orangutan or a charity walk, anything you do that isn't based on what you get in return is a good thing.

I wish everyone could find something to put their heart into that isn't materialistic or based on ego in any way. It's truly a gift to find out how full the heart can get by giving it away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen. SCAN gets my dollars, a tithe every time I get a royalty check or a smaller sum every time I read about an abused child.