Monday, May 19, 2008

First Impressions

When deciding to put DipSticks into stores, I never fully considered how they would be displayed.

My first location had their own basket, which fit nicely on their counter top. So, I decided a basket was the way to go for displaying the pretzels in all the stores. For the next few stores, that idea worked well. They had the counter space and the look fit with the store. I wasn't entirely happy with the basket idea, because it seemed to display the raffia ties more than the pretzels themselves, but it worked for what we needed at the time.

However, some other stores wanted to use their own containers. Some used glass jars, others used large wicker baskets that fit their store's theme. I was okay with that. After all, I didn't have to worry about where to get the container.

But, now that I've been thinking a lot about branding, and getting into more chain stores, I realize I probably should have a common "look" for my displays.

This is harder than it seems. Every store is unique. Not all stores have equal counter space to fit a large display. Especially one from a new vendor who may or may not tank in their stores. They don't want to give up valuable display area to a no namer like me.

I can offer a variety of options, but even that can be a hassle on my end. Most catalogs have pictures of displays with quantity pricing, but until you actually get that item in front of you and arrange your product on it, you can't tell if it's going to work.

Pay shipping charges and cost for each of these sample displays, and pretty soon you have a nice chunk of money wrapped up in something that may not even work.

Right now we're leaning towards a metal stand with hooks that the pretzels and marshmallows can hang from, thanks to my new client The Surface. They had a few extra lying around, and hung the pretzels from the raffia ribbon. They looked great, and could be arranged in a fairly small area, and split into groups to move around to different spots in the store. That idea I love, because they do that at Hallmark, and it gives a cross promotion effect that helps that store sell the most pretzels.

But what about when we add the pretzel bark or caramel apples? Maybe we should cross that bridge when we get to it, but it is something to think about.

Some of my competitors use large plastic bins with dividers in them, but I've been told they are too large to fit in most places.

Of course nothing is ever set in stone. Coke and Pepsi are still tinkering with their image. Change is good, and no matter what display I choose now, it can always be reformulated as we deem it necessary.

Do you have opinions on what kind of displays you like to see in stores? Do you own a store and have an opinion on displays? Please let me know in the comments!

No comments: