Friday, May 23, 2008

Larabar

With a lot of my posts lately I've been referring to specific foods that are helping me deal with this new way of eating. I thought that by eliminating dairy/wheat/sugar and soy that I'd be limited on tasty options, but surprisingly they are everywhere these days.

Case in point: Larabars are these amazing little snack bars that come in a gazillion fancy flavors.
Peanut Butter Cookie: Peanuts, dates, salt

Coconut Cream Pie: Dates, unsweetened coconut, almonds, cashews, coconut oil

Pecan Pie: Dates, pecans, almonds

Key Lime Pie: Dates, cashews almonds, unsweetened coconut, lime juice

Ginger Snap: Dates, almonds, pecans, ginger, cinnamon, cloves

Banana Cookie: Dates, almonds, unsweetened bananas

Cashew Cookie: Cashews, dates

Cinnamon Roll: Dates, walnuts, almonds, raisins, cashews, cinnamon
to name just a few.

According to the company's site, each bar is:
1 SERVING OF FRUIT * NO ADDED SUGAR * UNPROCESSED RAW * NON- GMO * GLUTEN FREE * DAIRY FREE * SOY FREE VEGAN * KOSHER

Each bar contains approximately 5 grams of protein, and around 200 calories. I pack them in my purse and car to make sure they are always handy for that sudden attack of fast food cravings. They are very filling despite how small they are, and I'm truly surprised at how different the flavors can be, given that they all pretty much have the same ingredients.

My favorite bars so far are the Key Lime Pie, and the Cashew Cookie. Something about them makes you feel like you're eating a brownie. The texture is so rich and chewy. A very satisfying sweetness, with just the right texture.

At around $1.50 to $1.70 each, they can eat the budget a bit, but are certainly cheaper than my big mac with extra sauce and small fry, and leave you without all the guilt and gas.

I found mine at the Health Food Shoppe, and at 3 Rivers Food Co-op, but I believe Kroger carries them, and perhaps other stores as well. I have not seen them at Walmart yet, which does not surprise me.

Out of all the protein/snack bars out there that I've tried, these get a 5 star out 5 rating. Dates may not be your thing, but you'll never know it once you've taken a bite out of these bad boys.

No comments: