Monday, March 3, 2008

Caramel Apples

With DipSticks, I have dedicated myself to the pretzel. I don't want to veer from the pretzel. People. Like. Pretzels.



I was fine with that fact until one of my customers asked if I made caramel apples. Uhh. Ummm. Wellll. I just don't know? Do I? Can I? But, what about the pretzel?


So, into the kitchen I went with my trusty chocolate, caramel, bowls and spoons. All familiar to me by now, but what's this? An apple? How can I work this into my line of pretzels and not feel like I'm cheating on them?

I started the caramel dipping process similarly to how I dip my pretzels, then rolled the apple into some pecans and shortbread, just like I'd do with my pretzels. Then it dawned on me, "Why can't I put pretzels on the apple?" So, I crunched up some pretzels, and plopped that big gooey caramel apple down in a pile of them and hoped for the best.







Top Photo: For Valentine's Day a dark chocolate with dried cherries called Sweet Valentine
Bottom Photo: This is the packaging for the caramel apples, for now. I'm thinking of using a clear box with a hole on top too. And maybe switching to a red ribbon with gold.



The result? A big hit! The apples looked beautiful, and you get just a hint of that salty taste from the pretzels on the bottom. They work great to keep the apple flat too, and keep the pretzel component a main part of my product line. Now what else can I fit pretzels into?



Note: My caramel apples are currently available at Plumtickled Junction in Dunfee (on the whitley/allen county line road between Bass Road and 14)

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Hey, Christy. I love the apple idea. Will you sell them on the website as well? Looking forward to trying one. Guess caramel apples aren't just for Halloween anymore...lol.
I see that you're reading "A New Earth". I'm trying to tackle that as well. Is kind of slow going for me. Sometimes I have to reread passages to make sure I'm getting it. I'm also reading "Eat, Pray, Love", so I must be looking for enlightenment.
I may be looking for a summer job since I don't have anything lined up after school gets out, so let me know if you're going to need some helpers. Might be fun to do something totally different from nursing!
Hope things are going well for you. The Chicago Mart sounds exciting.
take care, Kathy

wholetohealthy said...

Hey Kathy! The apples will be available on the site soon, I hope! We need to take more photos, and upload them, and write descriptions and all that jazz.

As for enlightenment, don't we all need more of that? haha. I hope you like the book...I'll keep you posted on any job openings! Keep reading the blog, and I love comments! Take care...