Sunday, March 30, 2008

Review: Archer Farms Creme Brulee

Not too long ago, I was a Creme Brulee virgin. A horrible waste of years, I know.

I was sitting at a table at the famous Heaven on Seven on Chicago's Rush Street. My husband and I were there with a company he worked for and we were being treated to dinner, with about 30 other employees and their spouses.

A plate of desserts was placed in front of the group. All of them looked to die for, but I somehow got stuck with a bowl of pudding. "Pudding?" I thought. "ugh." But, as not to be a spoiled brat in front of all these people, I ate it anyway.

With the first bite I knew immediately that it was not just pudding. The delightfully crunchy and sweet sugary topping crackled as my spoon broke through. And the vanilla custard was the richest, thickest most amazing thing I had ever eaten. The combination of the crunchy sugar layer and the creamy custard is insane. Instantly, I had a new favorite dessert.

Since then, I have tried Creme Brulee anywhere I can get it. Catablu and Biaggi's have the best here in Fort Wayne. But one day, while shopping in Target, something caught my eye. Archer Farms (Target's own house brand) had a frozen Creme Brulee. For $6.99 I decided it was worth a shot. You get two ceramic bowls full of frozen custard, and two packets of a heavy turbinado sugar.


They are easy to prepare, and take only minutes under a broiler. While these aren't as good as freshly made Creme Brulee, they are most definitely perfect for that quick fix when you don't have time, or say, three dozen eggs, to make your own.


I highly recommend giving Archer Farms Frozen Creme Brulee a try.

5 comments:

Jon N. said...

I only cooked mine a light golden brown, but it was delicious! I will definitely buy Archer Farms again...although the ceramic ramekins seem a little wasteful.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree on the [fits the bill when you NEED a creme brulee fix yet aren't up for making it from scratch]

I love the ramekins. I reuse them for LOTS of things ... including to hold the little [not particularly sturdy] paper bakery cups that hold the Archer Farms Triple Berry [crumble / crisp / whatever those desserts are called -- I call them yummy!]

Anonymous said...

your supposed to keep the ramekins

Anonymous said...

you're

Unknown said...

I love them and yes, I also keep the remikins...I bake shrimp casserole in them 😀